Here is the link to an article where the government conceded a "vaccine injury" and will compensate the parents. The mother was a nurse and a lawyer, so this was a unique combination that helped document evidence and win the case. Other autism parents may not be as fortunate, even if they know the link for sure in their hearts.
Since 1 in 150 industrialized nation babies have an autism spectrum disorder, it pays to be paranoid and take precautions. Taking conscientious care and providing for the education of an autistic child runs into tens of thousand of dollars a year, so the paranoia is justified on the economic front alone. Morally, it is not your fault and it is not your genes; it is the industrialized, chemical nations we live in. Here are some condensed precautions from all the blogs and news articles out there. You cannot wait for scientific proof; there are no visible signs of autism onset and that emboldens people that deny the link.
1. Avoid vaccines AT ALL COSTS during pregnancy. All vaccines have legal disclaimers against pregnant women injections. Go ahead and believe them. If the fine print has the word, "pregnant woman", do not take the medication.
2. Mercury in Vaccines were removed "officially" in 2001. But the inventory is still floating around and causes CDC folks to be real defensive answering questions about vaccines. Ask, ask, ask details about the vaccine. Some states such as California have mandates against this. The vaccines merely get dumped in the other states or countries.
3. Do not take flu vaccines while pregnant. They officially contain mercury right now. Plus it has "pregnant women" in fine print.
4. Be very paranoid while vaccinating kids. Space out the vaccines one at a time, even if it means increased copay and annoyed doctors and nurses. (Link to an image containing an alternate vaccination schedule. Notice the jamming of vaccines at the 2-6 month stage in the original schedule) It's not their kid anyway. Autism is essentially a phenomenon in which the brain goes into a state of shock and awe, akin to being chased by lions (or pick whatever scares you; many of them. Can you think of anything else? You just "experienced" autism). The brain is totally focused on the "danger" and not aware of anything else. Putting in multiple mercury filled vaccines seems to convince the brain that the end is near. It goes into survival mode as a result, as it thinks that normal social intelligence is an unnecessary thing to be doing at that point in time. The brain itself gets injured and abused during vaccinations and acts so as to "protect the life in us".
5. Join associations that oppose mercury in vaccines. Mercury is dangerous in tuna and broken eco friendly mercury bulbs. It is much more potent and lethal in vaccines and flu vaccines. Maybe future generations will bear the fruits of your labor. Vaccines are a national security interest item; expect government spin that you are being too paranoid. (Note how they say "almost all vaccines"; those mean little federal corporate ladder climbers!)
6. Do not introduce mercury into your house. Say bye bye to your beloved eco friendly mercury lamps and to mercury thermometers. Take them to the eco hazard dump site, their rightful place.
7. Do not come into physical contact with liquid cloth detergents and other detergents. These are monster chemicals. When pregnant, pass the chore to non pregnant folks.
8. Read the fine print on any medication. A yeast infection after 4 weeks of the last period can mean that you are pregnant too. Take the pregnancy test before you reach for powerful and dangerous yeast killing chemicals.
9. Do your research even if your doctor is an expert. They follow procedures; you want to reduce the chances of a baby with autism disorders. The agendas are not necessarily aligned.
10. There are a lot of medications that have warnings for breatfeeding moms. These have to be taken seriously. A pregnant/nursing mom has to essentially turn into a "fine print" reader, so keep your reading glasses handy.
11. Added by viewer feedback: Breastfeed your baby as long as you can. Whey proteins in a tin can transported in hot stuffy trucks can wait till your child hits his or her teens, and wants to endure sports activities. Breast milk's physical properties and the psychological aspects of breast feeding hold off many disorders. So keep it going as long as you can. Keep breast feeding even after the infant goes on formulas. Work and careers are not valid excuses; breast pumps are available.
12. If your doctor advices bed rest to avoid having a pre-term labor, take the advice very seriously. Preterm babies have higher probability of Autism Spectrum disorders. Take Family Medical Leave right away and hit the bed. And do not try to squeeze in chores that require driving while you are on bed rest. That is the whole point of bed rest.
13. A male precaution: Make sure that fresh sperm gets used for potential baby making activities. Research indicates that old sperm tends to repair itself and that translates to missing or incorrect genetic material along the DNA strand of your child. Hint: Older than a day is old. Similar stuff happens with maternal eggs and they can do nothing about it, but the male can.
Autism was great for humankind in a world where they became dinners for lions and hyenas and the brain was freelancing in a hopeless situation from a survival standpoint. Unfortunately, modern chemicals, preservatives and toxins trigger the same reaction in young kids and damage them for life.
So there it is. These precautions are worth taking for avoiding autism and other disorders in your future bundle of joy. There are other ideas out there, but they are too radical to fit into normal lives; this list seems to be the most sensible.